Monday, June 05, 2006

Third time's a charm, I reckon....

Today I go to the gynecologist for my third colposcopy. I've been having abnormal paps for the last three years or so off and on. I'm in a high risk group to develop cervical cancer. The last pap wasn't too great--in fact it was a low grade dysplasia, which on a four point scale (four being cancer) is a two. The colposcopy will give the doc a better look and an opportunity to take a biopsy of any cells that don't look good. The next step is dependant on what they find in the biopsy.

It's not a terribly painful procedure, but it is pretty uncomfortable--bad enough to take some pain reliever and need rest. I'm taking today off from the gym, but plan to be back at it tomorrow as usual.

I'm a little more nervous this time--I guess because it is a little worse than the last time they did a biopsy. Sometimes I just wish the doc would do a hysterectomy and get it over with, so I won't have to go through this anymore.

1 comment:

B said...

Soooo, what's the word?? Wow, a complete hysterectomy is a pretty big deal, have you spoken with your doc the possibility yet? I'm sorry you've had to go through this for so long, I can understand why you'd just want it over an done with. Good luck honey, you're in my thoughts.

(((hugs)))
Beverly