Thursday, June 01, 2006

TIA

In this case, it does NOT stand for "thanks in advance."

On Tuesday the 30th, Alan e-mailed me at work with "the left side of my face feels numb, so does my arm and leg. What do you think it is?" Um...a STROKE, maybe??? This was about 2 pm, and I urged him to go to the ER, but he said he'd wait until I got off work at 5:30 to see if he should still go. He also asked the advice of our housemate Linda, who is a nurse. She said most definitely to GO!

So, for the last 48 hours or so, it has been a wild ride. We spent about six hours in the ER while they determined if he did, indeed have a stroke. It was determined that he had a TIA (transient ischemic attack). You can read more about it here: http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4781

As it turns out, a TIA is like a "warning" sign of a possible stroke. The neurologist wanted to perform lots of tests on Alan because he was pretty young to have a TIA (he's only 49) and only has one of the risks (he's overweight). So....the last 48 hrs have been filled with lots of blood draws, CT scans, MRI, MRA, EKG, ultrasound of his corrotid arteries, x-rays, and more. The results? All tests are normal, and the MRI confirmed that he indeed did not have a "real" stroke (means no damage was done).

Alan was told things need to change for him--he's now on aspirin therapy, a low-fat diet and an exercise program. The diet part is not bad, since I've been watching my fat intake, but the exercise is definitely lacking. I'm hoping he will get more into our ballroom dancing now that he needs the exercise. The nurse who was educating him on strokes really thought dancing was a great form of exercise.

I'm on my way to pick him up. It will be so great to be back in our own bed together! I've been staying with him at the hospital at night. Can you picture the two of us all snuggled up in his hospital bed together? It was cute, but after awhile became uncomfy. There was a recliner in his room that wasn't very comfy either. Not to mention the fact that we were awakened ever 2-3 hrs for vital signs! Anyone who has ever stayed in a hosptial overnight knows that it is NOT the place to get real rest!!

Something else: Going through a health scare with a loved one really reinforces what you have together...this has definitely made me appreciate Alan even more. I can't imagine my life without him!

1 comment:

GW said...

Oh, gosh, Jen! I'm so glad Alan is okay. Howie's dad kept working right through a heart attack once. Stubborn!! Tell Alan we're pulling for him and he can do the changes needed. (((hugs)))