Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Gratitude...

First of all, thanks to Karen for her comment regarding my calorie intake for the day. I couldn't stick to my plan even for a week because I was STARVING and I did set myself up for binges. The question is how should I adjust my calories to coincide with my current weight of 310? Any helpful suggestions are welcome.

Looking towards Thanksgiving, I realize how lucky I am. I have great health in spite of my weight, a great job, an improving financial outlook, a wonderful partner and great friends. I want to practice an attitude of gratitude every day, and not take anything for granted.

Wishing all of you a great Thanksgiving!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't know what will work for you. I know what has been working for me, however...

Every time I've lost weight or tried to lose weight, I've felt like I was starving, literally. I have gone to bed many nights with my stomach growling. It's hard to go to sleep that way.

This most recent time, I've joined 24 hour fitness and used something called "BodyGym" to figure out how many calories my body uses per day just living. What I found was that my Base Metabolic Rate (BMR) as reported via various calculators on the web was much lower than what the BodyGym reported. Therefore, the BMR calculator would tell me to eat less calories than the BodyGym told me.

In the past 3 months, I have gone from 310 to 281 eating an average of 2200 calories/day. I track the calories I eat with a program I got off the net. It's nice because it has name brand food and restaurants listed. I also lift weights 2x/week and do cardio. I started out with 20min cardio 3x/week and am now up to 40-45min cardio 4-5x/week. Best of all, I have not been starving hungry once in the past three months.

I honestly just thought I wasn't strong enough mentally to live with the hunger that I thought normal people lived with and I was too ashamed to ever find out whether or not my assumption was true.

My suggestion is to somehow find out how many calories you need to maintain your current weight and then subtract 500 from that and then eat those # of calories. There are a lot of free BMR calculators on the net.

Good luck!