Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Dedication

I have a dear friend named Ken who is very spiritual and insightful. I wrote him a short e-mail chronicling my frustration with staying on plan:

I've been thinking alot about dedication today. I've dedicated myself to getting healthy, to being a good employee, and to being the best partner, friend and lover I can be. My main thought today is the health thing. While I know not everyday can be 100%, some days I don't even reach 50%.

Why is it that dedication is not a lasting thing? Why does our resolve run out, even with the best of intentions?

Your thoughts, please....


This is (in part) what he wrote back:

Jen,

If there is one thing that I've been learning of late is that my Higher Power is exceedingly gentle with me. If that power chooses to treat me so, who am I to treat myself any less?

Dedication is important. Commitment requires that one push their envelope, get out of their comfort zone, become someone they want to be. It's important to have a vision of what that end result will look at -- to build on that vision every day so that it is crystal clear in your mind as already having come to pass for you. That vision, commitment, is what will pull you through the times when you make it harder on yourself than needed...


....Instant forgiveness is an ABSOLUTE MUST. Your past, even just a moment ago, no longer counts. What you do now is what's important. Eventually, you will catch yourself in the act and can gently change your mind. Why is this important? Because you are 100% loved and supported by the Universe all the time for who you are in this moment; a Universe that has followed every word, thought, feeling and deed in your life and knows exactly why you must be who you are right now in this moment (I have a friend named Scott who maintains God has watched every dirty, rotten thing he's ever done and loved him while he was doing it), To not love yourself as much as (god (Good) does is an affront to that Eternal Love (not that you can truly offend Perfect Love).

One day at a time (ODAT) is the recommended pace. One meal at a time. People in OE say what makes the challenge seem so great is that you have to walk the animal three times a day, lol. A better way to look at it is through the commitment/vision you choose. You are a woman of power! You can't ever fail, you can only progress. Everything you need has already been given to you. It's inside you now. You don't have to create it. You have to discover and align yourself with it, trust it, listen to it, do what it suggests even if it suggests you do nothing (which is often hardest). The Truth, in fact, is that you don't even have to. It's completely voluntarily -- you get to choose. You are free! Isn't that marvelous?
And...you can use it for every facet of your life. But begin here, your weight. Prove it through your own experience. God won't be offended if you test him. You don't want to get skinny, after all, you want the experience of being a thinner person. Build your vision and commitment around that. What does that look like to you. It is already yours, guaranteed...


Already mine?? You mean I am already a size 10?? I'm glad someone told me!

Thanks for these words, Ken....

1 comment:

B said...

Sounds like a pretty smart, insightful, and thoughtful friend you've got there. Try to take his words to heart sweetie, in whatever way they suit you best. Yes, you're already a size 10, it just so happens that it's covered up by a few other sizes for the time being. And now it's up to you to start uncovering it, which you're already on the way to doing, and I have every confidence you'll achieve.

Beverly